Rane SL2 - How to Record Your Mix
The Rane SL2 is a compact 2-deck plug-and-play USB 2.0 interface, that connects one or two standard vinyl or CD turntables to your computer using a single USB cable and audio connections to line inputs on your DJ mixer of choice. This helpful guide will walk you through how to achieve recording your mixes from Serato DJ using the free software Audacity.
What You Will Need:
- (1) Rane SL 2
- (4) RCA cables
- (1) Mixer with Rec Out, Booth Out, or Aux Output with adjustable output volume
- (1) Stereo Male RCA to 3.5mm Stereo Cable
- (1) Computer with Line Input (unless you have an external sound card you wish to use to capture audio)
- Audacity (Free multi-track recorder & editor)
How to Record:
- Setup your Rane SL2 like you would normally and launch Serato DJ.
- Connect the Stereo RCA to 3.5mm mini jack cable from an additional output from your DJ mixer (i.e. booth, record, 2nd master, or aux out) into the line input of your computer (or an input on your external soundcard).
- Launch Audacity, and set the record source/input to 'Line Input'.
- In Audacity, select Edit > Preferences > Quality and set the Sample Rate to 44.1 kHz and 16-bit (more if you desire).
- Test there is audio coming into Audacity, by playing a song in Serato DJ. Make sure the levels in Audacity are not going above 0 dB on the recording channel. If so, adjust the output level from the mixer.
- When you are ready, hit 'Record' in Audacity, it will automatically create an audio track and start recording your mix.
- When you are finished, make sure you stop the recording, and 'Save' the mix to a location of your choice.
NOTE: Because of the extra strain on your laptop's RAM and CPU while running Serato DJ and a recording program together, we recommend that you use a desktop or a separate laptop to record a mix if you are able to.
Further Technical Support
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a Rane DJ product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Rane DJ technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.