How-to Setup your Rane Mixer for Post-Fader DJ-FX
A great feature of the Rane Sixty-One, Sixty-Two, and Sixty-Eight mixers is the ability to route the Serato Scratch Live DJ-FX plug-in through the Rane mixer for post-fader software effects.
Pre- or Post-Fader?
Here's the difference between a pre-fader and post-fader effect. A pre-fader effect is applied before it is routed through the mixer channel. Therefore, with echo, delay and reverb, the tail of these effects is not audible when the channel fader is closed. Thus, post-fader effects allow the effect tail to be heard after the fader is closed, adding depth to the mix.
To set up Scratch Live and your Rane mixer for post-fader DJ-FX:
- Connect your mixer to your computer via USB.
- Open the latest version of Serato Scratch Live.
- Click the SETUP button, then the Plugins tab, click on the DJ-FX in the left column, and check the options “Enable DJ-FX plug-in” and “Enable mixer DJ-FX send”.
Make sure to activate the "USB insert" feature on your mixer. For the Sixty-Two and Sixty-Eight, also make sure to turn on the green “ON” button for the built-in mixer effects. This will allow you to send the audio from your mixer channels back into the software DJ-FX using the Flex FX loop.
Using Software FX from your Rane Mixer
Now that we have set this up, it's time to give it a go. Here are the steps:
- Select your desired effect in DJ-FX. Select a simple Echo for now.
- Set the desired “Beat” for this effect in DJ-FX.
- Adjust the Mixer's Dry/Wet control for the amount of effect.
- Click the mixer's green FlexFX ON button to turn on the effect (Sixty-Two and Sixty-Eight).
- Now, press the blue FlexFX button for the mixer's playback channel or the Mic.
- You should hear the Echo applied to the audio. If you drop the fader for that channel, notice the track mutes but the Echo continues as it slowly decays (depending on your Dry/Wet setting).
- If you want to apply this effect to a track playing on another channel or mic, simply press the blue FlexFX button for that particular channel or mic.
Congratulations! You have just set up Scratch Live’s DJ-FX for Post-Fader use on your mixer.