How-to Daisy Chain two SL2, SL3, or SL4s together
This article walks through how to connect two Rane sound cards (SL2, SL3, or SL4) together, allowing two DJs to use separate computers with only one DJ set up.
2 x Computers
2 x SL2, SL3, or SL4s
4 x RCA cables
1 x Mixer
2 x CD Players and/or Turntables.
Connect everything like this
Here are the step-by-step instructions for setting up:
- Connect the turntables (or CD players) as normal to the Rane device A (in this case the SL3 on the left in the image above).
- Set the dip switches on Rane device A to the appropriate setting - phono for turntables or line/CD for CD players.
- Connect the outputs of Rane device A to the inputs of Rane device B (on the right).
Note: If you are using an SL4 and have the turntables or CD players plugged into, say, inputs 1 and 2 you will want to run outputs 1 and 2 into the inputs of Rane device B. The outputs should mimic the inputs.
- Set the dip switches of Rane device B to line (or CD).
- Connect the outputs of Rane device B to line inputs on your mixer.
- Set your mixer channels to line.
- Connect a computer to each Rane device.
Now, when you want to play a track off computer A (connected to Rane device A), set Rane device B to thru in the software. This will allow the music to pass “thru” Rane device B.
When you want to play a song off computer B (connected to Rane device B), set Rane device A to thru (which allows the control signal to pass through to Rane device B).
Things to remember:
- The thru state of the Rane device is set in software. If you plan on swapping back and forth a lot between computers, you could MIDI assign this function.
- If you plan on disconnecting a computer at any time, make sure the Rane device is powered by the provided power supply to ensure it remains in a thru state.