Welcome Guest  |  Login  |  Forum Registration

Whats next in Firmware/Hardware now that SSL is tits up

DJ Joshua Carl

DJ Joshua Carl 1:24:16 - 11 September 2013

Its going to be an interesting few years to say the least…

whats everyone looking for for hardware / firmware updates from the best in business?

I think its safe to say before 2015 (even though the 62 is still in its infancy, and the 57 in the nursing home) another 2 channel battle style mixer that acommidates the features of Serato dj and Trakor without so many layers.
personally layers always throw me off.
Id love to see a longer upfader.
I dont know, I know its not just me, but Id like to see a more gradual slode on it, and more real estate to move it.

that’s just on the tip of my noggin right now…. but what would everyone else like to see…
if there ever was a place for you mixer wishes to be heard; this would be it.

DJ Art Payne

DJ Art Payne 1:09:35 - 13 September 2013

Just curious - what do you see as an advantage of a longer up fader?

Only thing I could see is a longer smoother mix - like using a rotary fader.

Seems it would be beneficial if u play House or EDM? These new crowds have short attention spans so the days of riding a long complex mix are gone….

BUT WAIT - with Sync forced on us now - maybe, just maybe the art of riding a mix will come back now - basically because you don’t have to have skills or work to make it happen…

Brilliant suggestion - Sync and longer upfaders = WIN!

Shaun Whitcher Rane Forum Admin

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 4:20:50 - 13 September 2013

DJ Joshua Carl - 11 September 2013 01:24 PM

Its going to be an interesting few years to say the least…

whats everyone looking for for hardware / firmware updates from the best in business?

I think its safe to say before 2015 (even though the 62 is still in its infancy, and the 57 in the nursing home) another 2 channel battle style mixer that acommidates the features of Serato dj and Trakor without so many layers.
personally layers always throw me off.
Id love to see a longer upfader.
I dont know, I know its not just me, but Id like to see a more gradual slode on it, and more real estate to move it.

that’s just on the tip of my noggin right now…. but what would everyone else like to see…
if there ever was a place for you mixer wishes to be heard; this would be it.

Good questions. I’d like to see a mixer with more controls on it, especially for internal software effects (four knob and four accompanying buttons, like the X1). I also prefer 60mm faders over 45mm. I’m a house/techno DJ and long faders (especially rotary type) are great for long, smooth blends. I’d be stoked to see an option for 60mm sliders in the Sixty-Four with no crossfader (I never touch it anyway).

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 4:22:21 - 13 September 2013

DJ Art Payne - 13 September 2013 01:09 PM

Just curious - what do you see as an advantage of a longer up fader?

Only thing I could see is a longer smoother mix - like using a rotary fader.

Seems it would be beneficial if u play House or EDM? These new crowds have short attention spans so the days of riding a long complex mix are gone….

BUT WAIT - with Sync forced on us now - maybe, just maybe the art of riding a mix will come back now - basically because you don’t have to have skills or work to make it happen…

Brilliant suggestion - Sync and longer upfaders = WIN!

Super win, especially if you’re a four deck DJ. Techno with four decks is so amazingly fun!

{name}

Taipanic 6:03:34 - 13 September 2013

Might mark the return of the 19” mixer to accommodate additional controls for FX/video/etc…

Auttomattik

Auttomattik 10:39:19 - 14 September 2013

I’m kinda with Josh.  I don’t understand why the 62 wasn’t made knowing that SSL was going out?  Now it will have to retroactively work with SDJ.  Seems to me like somebody dun fucked up!

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 12:14:55 - 14 September 2013

Whoa! Nice pic Auttomattik smile

Who said we (Rane) knew anything about Serato’s plans three years ago when we started Sixty-Two development? I doubt if Serato even knew three years ago how things were going to end up lol!

Auttomattik

Auttomattik 1:02:25 - 14 September 2013

Thank you for the compliment.  For real though, How was the 64 developed that far part from the 62 that it was developed for a different software?  They seem so similar, and the desicion to dump SSL seems so huge, I don’t see how all these things don’t coincide?  I’m also not in the hardware/software developement business.

woody007

woody007 3:29:18 - 15 September 2013

Good questions. I’d like to see a mixer with more controls on it, especially for internal software effects (four knob and four accompanying buttons, like the X1). I also prefer 60mm faders over 45mm. I’m a house/techno DJ and long faders (especially rotary type) are great for long, smooth blends. I’d be stoked to see an option for 60mm sliders in the Sixty-Four with no crossfader (I never touch it anyway).

Hell yeah I’m with that. It would make the ultimate techno mixer. In that spirit Rane should make a genaral DVS/SDJ mixer with long up faders, lots of knobs and buttons for effects and other parameters, ditch built-in effects in favor of more space for other paramaters or come up with effects that compete with Pioneer’s and add a button or a jumper for disabling the reverse modes on the faders ( I just wanna rip those darn reverse and mode buttons off my 56). Maybe something like combining a 56 with two X1’s or something along those lines.

woody007

woody007 3:31:18 - 15 September 2013

Yo Autto, Please ditch that avatar, its creeping me out.

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 6:44:04 - 15 September 2013

Auttomattik - 14 September 2013 01:02 PM

Thank you for the compliment.  For real though, How was the 64 developed that far part from the 62 that it was developed for a different software?  They seem so similar, and the desicion to dump SSL seems so huge, I don’t see how all these things don’t coincide?  I’m also not in the hardware/software developement business.

I’m not one of the hardware design engineers, but it seems to me that the Sixty-Four was originally intended for SSL, which is why it’s so similar to the Sixty-Two (only a few minor button re-mappings). I honestly don’t know when the decision was made by the Serato team to assimilate SSL and SDJ, but I’m glad things are solidifying for Serato. Serato’s software development from here on out will be more focused and more efficient. What this means for users is tighter quality control and more time for Serato to work towards expanding and adding new features DJs have been waiting for.

DJ Joshua Carl

DJ Joshua Carl 5:39:28 - 18 September 2013

I call it the bastard child of the 62 and 68…lol.

Everytime I see that removable fader housing I get excited

Rotary swap out, longer/shorter faders?

From what I understand true rotary have become a bit hard to do, well they would just loose all midi function, because they operate through voltage increments ...
Maybe u guys know the real story on that one… But don’t mean someone can’t develop a digital rotary knob.

As much as I’m an open format dj, I’m a blender/mixer first before any cuts, so a longer fader would def make me happy.

Here’s a 64 question.
I see shift arrows all over the mixer
Even on the headphone cue buttons
When’s the manual coming out for that?

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 11:42:21 - 18 September 2013

The preliminary manual can be found here: Sixty-Four Manual

Starting on page 18, we start in on the Shift/arrow functions.

In regards to rotary controls, the faders are a little too close together to align horizontally, if you want proper rotary mixer knobs - like on the MP2016S. How would you configure the rotary knob layout?

What do you think of a stacked version, like this

Decks 1 & 2:  O O
Decks 3 & 4:  O O

This layout best matches the four-deck layout within Serato DJ and other DJ popular software.

Another option is to stager the knobs:

O   O
    O   O

Would you want to keep the crossfader with the rotary option or go pure rotary?

DJ Joshua Carl

DJ Joshua Carl 12:03:01 - 19 September 2013

I love the idea of the stacked knobs
MUCH easier to associate with 4 decks!!

And pretty revolutionary
HAVE TO have the cross fader

NO EXTENSION PEICE! Please!

The offset stack might be good because you could offset the array of gain/EQ/filter lower on the mixer a 1/2 inch so the lines can marry up with the offset rotary

DJ Dynamight

DJ Dynamight 10:45:46 - 19 September 2013

+1 on the ability to swap out the faders for knobs/longer faders/magnetic faders!

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 11:54:12 - 19 September 2013

Which would you personally prefer, if you had to pick one?

To participate in this discussion we need a few basic details from you

Publicly visible when you post in this forum discussion
Passwords must be at least 5 characters long

User Log-in

Forgotten Password