Welcome Guest  |  Login  |  Forum Registration

needle keeps sliding across the vinyl

{name}

gjango 11:28:10 - 07 December 2013

yeah guy and girls,  i’m new to the game as in 2 week s old , so i’m a new born.
i just bought sl2 and a pair of ortofons s-120 om cartridges,  that i got for a pair of stanton tables.
now this is my problem…... i played around with them last weekend and everything was fine ....
i turned everything on yesterday and one of the needles would not stay on the vinyl and when i did i would not play properly through my sl2, can someone PLEASE tell me let me know what this problem can b, i’m thinking something is wrong with that needle…

Detroitbb

Detroitbb 12:41:55 - 07 December 2013

Could you have broken (or even bent) the stylus/cantilever? Check both closely and see if there is a difference between the two.

{name}

gjango 2:13:07 - 07 December 2013

Its very possible , but i cant see any deffrence between the two everything looks the same as far as i can tell….

Detroitbb

Detroitbb 6:57:43 - 07 December 2013

Try switching the cartridge to the other turntable and see if the problem migrates too.

By the way, is your turntable properly setup? Tonearm height, proper weight adjustment, correct anti-skating setting, and a perfectly level turntable are all things to double check.

{name}

gjango 7:17:40 - 07 December 2013

I tried switching the cartridges from turntable to turntable no luck there, i also tried adjusting the weights , but i’m not totally sure on how to adjust them to tell the truth, when the weight is heavy enough not to slide on the vinyl , it does not play properly through the SL2….
so i just cant say..

Shaun Whitcher Rane Forum Admin

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 7:44:44 - 07 December 2013

Adjust the anti-skating dial on your turntable, if there is one and see if it helps. On 1200s, the dial goes from 1 - 10 and in most cases you set it to 1 or 2.

{name}

gjango 8:06:11 - 07 December 2013

i was just online looking at how to adjust the tone arms, now this is the thing , for the needle that works there is no skating happening , and for the needle , (the one that does not work ), when set on the same turntable , has to be adjusted differently, as in the tone arm has to b set almost all the way down , but when i do that it will not play on the SL2 properly . frustrating, cause all i want to do is play my tunes….....

{name}

gjango 8:10:08 - 07 December 2013

oh and there is no antiskate on these decks, they are a pair of stantons…

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 8:26:26 - 07 December 2013

Its sounds like your tonearm is tweaked, especially since the problem occurs regardless of which cartridge you’re using.

Until you can try other one or exchange your turntable, use the Instand Double feature to mix with just one deck. It’s pretty easy :)

Here’s a quick video Konix made a while back. It’s an older version and looks different, but everything else is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xazkYeO_P4

{name}

gjango 8:44:46 - 07 December 2013

That the thing the problem only happen with the one cartridge, regardless of the turntable that i use…. i just don’t get it , nothing looks broken , the only difference is when i try using them… both tone arms work as far as i can tell, because the working cartridge stays on both turn tables…

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 9:15:00 - 07 December 2013

Keep the carts on the decks and switch the needles as a test.

{name}

gjango 9:48:07 - 07 December 2013

yep , tried that, just the one keeps sliding….

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 11:11:55 - 08 December 2013

Bad cart, regardless of TT and needle can only mean the cartridge is wonky.

{name}

gjango 11:39:19 - 08 December 2013

yeah, thats to bad, i guess i will try to get a replacement from the seller, seeing that i got them online…...

thanks for your help appreciate it alot…..

have a good one…

Detroitbb

Detroitbb 12:15:03 - 08 December 2013

One more thing to try: remove the ‘bad’ stylus and put it on the other cartridge (the one with the good stylus) - it’s just the tip of the cartridge, so it should pull straight off. Try both carts/stylus combos now. That will tell you if just the stylus needs replacement (instead of the whole cartridge).

{name}

gjango 11:53:36 - 09 December 2013

SO i just did that. YEP that was it…...so ,spoke to the company i bought them from,  they said it should not be a problem for them to send one out to me…..........

thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!

much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

G.

• Page 1 of 2
  •  1 2 > 

To participate in this discussion we need a few basic details from you

Publicly visible when you post in this forum discussion
Passwords must be at least 5 characters long

User Log-in

Forgotten Password