Shaun Whitcher 7:24:07 - 13 November 2013

Any questions about the blog post?

Jamie W

Jamie W 2:57:11 - 14 November 2013

Nice one Shaun! Thanks Guys :)

Shaun Whitcher Rane Forum Admin

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 3:39:18 - 14 November 2013

Thank you Jamie smile You wrote a great article!

{name}

iKhan 1:45:33 - 04 December 2013

First off, thank you for this post.  I use iTunes and want to implement your technique.  I currently have both options checked in iTunes.  My question is how do i get my music from the “iTunes Media” folder (which like you mentioned is in one folder that leads to hundreds of folders, path upon path) all into a few folders.  Is there a simple way? What is the simplest way? Is there a Doug script?

Thanks in adavance

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 7:01:09 - 04 December 2013

I remember there was an app years ago that pulled everything out of the depths of iTunes’ Media folder, but I can’t locate it now (this was about 7 years ago), sorry. I’m sure there’s something out there. Have you asked an “Apple Pro” about this?

{name}

iKhan 11:21:48 - 08 December 2013

Hi Shaun,

I asked an Apple 2nd level tech rep and they weren’t too sure.  He did recommend an App called “Folder Inspector”.  I paid $4.99 for the app, unfortunately the app only copies files over.  And last I also received this advice;

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5093395

None of which is an easy solution, there must be a way to “Move selected files” to one new folder. like this posts suggests. Please help.

Thnx

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 12:27:17 - 09 December 2013

iKhan - 08 December 2013 11:21 PM

Hi Shaun,

I asked an Apple 2nd level tech rep and they weren’t too sure.  He did recommend an App called “Folder Inspector”.  I paid $4.99 for the app, unfortunately the app only copies files over.  And last I also received this advice;

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5093395

None of which is an easy solution, there must be a way to “Move selected files” to one new folder. like this posts suggests. Please help.

Thnx

We may be able to accomplish what you’re needing using a combination of iTunes and SSL.

How many GBs of music do you have in your iTunes library?

Do you have enough free space to duplicate this many files temporarily?

{name}

iKhan 12:28:24 - 09 December 2013

My Library is mixed with Mp3s and Mp4’s total about 600GB.  If i use an external hard drive, i have room to make a copy.

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 6:23:33 - 09 December 2013

Excellent! Here’s the plan. We’ll do this is parts to keep it easy.

Part One

1. Make a crate in SSL and call it something like ‘All My iTunes Music’

2. Open SSL and dump every song within your iTunes Library folder into your ‘All My iTunes Music’ crate.

3. Turn off the read iTunes Library option within the SL setup screen Library tab.

Did you get all your iTunes music into your special iTunes crate without issue?

{name}

iKhan 7:13:10 - 09 December 2013

As your original post suggests I am an iTunes user, Serato and iTunes work together, how do i get my iTunes crates and smart crates to show up,  The post doesn’t say stop using iTunes, it mentions to change the way its configured,  I want to implement this technique, by moving the music from 9000 folders into 1 folder.  Al within iTunes, so that i don’t lose the decade of organizing my iTunes crates and smart crates.

{name}

iKhan 7:15:07 - 09 December 2013

I did your steps above, question is how do i get to continue using iTunes crates (playlist & smart playlists)?

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 7:13:02 - 10 December 2013

iKhan - 09 December 2013 07:13 PM

As your original post suggests I am an iTunes user, Serato and iTunes work together, how do i get my iTunes crates and smart crates to show up,  The post doesn’t say stop using iTunes, it mentions to change the way its configured,  I want to implement this technique, by moving the music from 9000 folders into 1 folder.  Al within iTunes, so that i don’t lose the decade of organizing my iTunes crates and smart crates.

You’ll still be able to use iTunes with SSL, like you have been, we just need to do a bit of tweaking (nothing major).

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 7:20:20 - 10 December 2013

Ready for Part 2?

1. Open iTunes and make sure it stays open during this process

2. Connect your external hard drive

3. Open Scratch Live

4. Open the Files panel and click on your external HD to select it.

5. Drag the ‘All My iTunes Music’ crate you made and drop it onto your external HD.

6. SSL will ask you if you want to Move or Copy the files to your external drive, choose Move.

7. This will allow SSL to take all the music in your ‘All My iTunes Music’ crate and move/consolidate it within a single folder on your external HD. The folder will be named ‘All My iTunes Music’

This might take a while, so be patient and wait until SSL is done before closing it out and make certain iTunes is running/open.

Once all your files are migrated and consolidated, let me know and we’ll move on to Part 3 smile

{name}

iKhan 2:37:05 - 19 December 2013

Thank you step 2 is done, next step please.

ADMIN
Shaun Whitcher 3:58:54 - 20 December 2013

Cool, here’s part 3:

Exit SSL

Open your external HD and make sure Scratch Live created a ‘All My iTunes Music’ folder on your external drive and that all your music has been properly copied to this folder.

If so, open iTunes and make sure your music is playable by playing random songs in iTunes. Does everything play properly?

If so, do this:

Click on ‘Music’ to show all the songs in your library.

Select all (Command + A) the tracks in your music library

Use the keyboard shortcut Command + I to ‘Get info’.

Click ‘Yes’ when asked if you want to edit multiple items.

Click ‘OK’ at the bottom of the edit page with out typing anything.

Allow iTunes to process all your files. Once completed, close/exit iTunes completely

Open SSL and go into the Scratch Live setup screen Library tab and select the Read iTunes Library option. This should import all of your iTunes playlist like you had it before.

Any luck?

Quick question, do you want to keep your music on the external drive or do you want to move it back to your internal drive?

{name}

iKhan 9:48:48 - 20 December 2013

I want to move it back to my internal drive and still have same iTunes playlists intact.
thnx

• Page 1 of 2
  •  1 2 > 

To participate in this discussion we need a few basic details from you

Publicly visible when you post in this forum discussion
Passwords must be at least 5 characters long

User Log-in

Forgotten Password